Thursday, February 6, 2014

Three Job Hunting DO’s for Teachers




While the Internet has simplified many aspects of job hunting, it’s also made the process more sophisticated and complex. The continued evolution of social media adds both opportunities and challenges as you navigate the career-change maze. Here are a few more tips to help you along.


  • DO look at your social media profiles, and create a LinkedIn profile if you don’t already have one. A 2012 survey conducted by HR.BLR.com showed that 92% of employers are using social media to recruit potential employees, with LinkedIn ranking as the most popular choice. Though my last post strongly advised against broadcasting your plans, I do feel you can set up a LinkedIn profile without arousing suspicions. Creating a strong profile gives you a chance to showcase your skills and your work history. You should also take a look at your Facebook and Twitter accounts, if you have them, and make sure there is nothing questionable there.
  • DO begin preparing for interviews. This might seem premature and overly optimistic, but you really don’t know how quickly you’ll get called once you begin sending out your résumé. I was completely unprepared when I went to my first interview for a teaching position. My first batch of résumés was barely in the mail when one of the districts contacted me, leaving me hardly any time to prepare. I hadn’t expected to get called so quickly, and my elation got the better of me. The interview was disastrous, though I did learn from it. Next week I’ll address strategies for preparing for a job interview. In the meantime, here’s a helpful post from Lifehacker with a printable checklist.
  • DO use your network and friends and family outside of school. Even though social media has made it possible to network with people you may never meet in person, you shouldn’t overlook the people in your life. The distance between them and your work colleagues should be enough that you should feel safe sharing your plans. And you never know what may transpire. Employees often become aware of potential openings at their companies before those openings are posted online. You may find yourself in the right place at the right time, simply by letting your friends and relatives know that you’re looking for a new career.   



Next week I’ll also go into more detail about using LinkedIn, and how it can help you find your next job.

No comments:

Post a Comment